Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 27 - New Years Resolution Revolt

Always time to smell the roses
OK, so I'm running a little behind on this New Year thing and trying hard to catch up.  So here's how I came up with today's post.  It began last night as I was thinking about New Years Resolutions and wondering whether or not I'd make one more attempt at keeping something - anything.  Finally, since health has become a priority to me; I sat down at the computer to gather my thoughts and make my list.
1.  LOSE WEIGHT,  2.  EXERCISE MORE,  3.  EAT "HEALTHY"  

Oh, yes, that was the exact moment a voice on the radio caught my attention; I mean, really caught my attention.  I started typing notes as I listened attentively for all of about 60 seconds.  That's when the interview ended.  It had just been one of those little news 'blurbs' and not only did I not catch the name of the man being interviewed; I couldn't even find his name on the show's website. 
But I trust my notes and here's what he was on the air to report:
1.  LOSE WEIGHT 
We, who struggle with weight issues have been told for years that a BMI (Body Mass Index) between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered normal, ideal, the goal we should shoot for.  In addition, we have been told that if our BMI falls between 25.0 and 29.9, we are considered "Overweight", while a BMI over 30.0 puts us officially in the "Obese" category.  NOW, to confuse us further, especially people like me who have only recently begun to understand the whole BMI thing in the first place; NOW, a new study claims that 30 - 34.9 BMI is not only an acceptable level; it may actually lead to a "longer life cycle".  While being 'underweight' (the BMI we've been told to achieve) can put us at risk should we become ill and lose additional weight. Hummm.

2.  EXERCISE MORE  
That was such a shocker, and since I was at the computer anyway, I thought I'd look up some information on 'Exercise'... you know, it's that thing we pay good money to do because we no longer hang our wash on the line or cut our grass with a push mower or till the ground for our food or go outside with our children to play.  Here's what I found...and there is more documentation on this Link to 'Exercise and Healthy Eating' than you can shake a stick at.  Check it out.  You will be amazed.  I was. 
3.  EAT "HEALTHY"
With my list of good intentions obliterated and my idea for today's post vaporizing, I was completely bummed and headed to the kitchen, my normal destination when I'm 'bummed'.  "Coffee?"  "Not good."  "Wine?"  "Better not."  "Chocolate?"  "I gave it all away because of the 'weight loss' thing."
Well, that did it; I burst out laughing.  How many times are the 'experts' going to change their minds?  Coffee: bad for you; oh, no; it's actually good for you.  Wine and chocolate, the same thing; yes, no, yes.  I wish they would make up their minds.
Then it occurred to me, I don't really care what they say.  I think they have just about ruined us.  Life is no longer easy and it isn't as much fun as when I was raised...in the '40s and '50s and '60s.  Back then, everyone smoked, we ate white bread, kids got 'play in the dirt' dirty, cars didn't have seat belts and babies were carried in our arms.  Reckless, I know, but you know what else...I only remember 2 kids in all of high school who were overweight and they wouldn't even be considered 'chubby' by today's standards.  We almost never went to the doctor and I never knew a kid who went to jail...not for anything!  Hummm.  But then, 'back then' I was a kid and today's kids will probably look back with exactly the same thoughts.
Still, today's life seem to be filled with too many 'do's and don'ts', too much stress, and too little fun and laughter.  Oh yes, Laughter turns out to be one of those things that is really, really good for us and no one has changed their mind on that...not even "them".  

So my Resolution for 2013 is to stop worrying about the do's and don't's, to relax more, to have more fun and to laugh more often...not to live foolishly but to live fully...and, I hope, for a long, long time.

No comments: