Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Canning - Cia's Oil-Roasted Garlic Jalapenos with Warning!

This recipe and method was concocted by me the summer that I planted 24 feet of jalapeno plants. Ha! One of my first gardening adventures. I had no idea what a jalapeno plant would look like or how many peppers a single plant would produce. Needless to say, I had to get creative. This experiment turned out to be my greatest pepper success. The flavor is incredible and goes such a long way that a tsp. will flavor an entire pot of chili, a spoon dipped into the oil and used to stir salsa or Pico De Gallo will add all the heat and flavor needed and a drop smeared across a cooked hamburger patty will transport you to flavor and heat heaven.

Now, this is not a process that I would recommend to the faint-hearted. In fact, I wouldn't even post it except that it's one of my kids favorite things and I don't want their supply to dry up and wither away just because I do...at some point in the distant future, if you know what I mean. So, here goes...but be warned:
  1. Do not attempt this without wearing gloves as your hands will burn for 2 days and any body part you touch will hate you for hours.
  2. Do not use the water sprayer on your sink as the heat molecules will atomize, you will inhale them and start coughing so hard you will wet your pants.
  3. Don't use the disposal for the same reason.
  4. Do not use your exhaust vent while cooking unless it vents to the outside; if it recurculates, you will get a face full of pain that you won't forget for a very long time.
  5. Do not lean over pan while cooking, in fact, use a l-o-n-g handled spoon to stir and lean as far back as possible.
And, if these warnings are not enough to deter you, consider this...there are conflicting opinions concerning the safety of peppers canned in oil. Do NOT take my word for the health safety of my method. Check other sources and your extension office for additional information. Having said that...I've been making these for 25 years and serving them to my family with confidence. I have never had the seal on a jar fail or the contents spoil.
So here goes. As usual, start with sterilized jars, lids and rings waiting patiently submerged in simmering water. This recipe makes 6, 8oz. jars.
  • 2 1/2 lbs Jalapenos
  • 2 Onions - chopped in large pieces
  • 1 entire head Garlic - cloves separated, peeled and cut in half
  • 2 ozs. Vegetable Oil
  • 1 c. Olive Oil
  • Non-iodized Canning/Pickling Salt - to be used liberally
  • 3/4 c. White Vinegar - 5% acidity
Wash peppers. Cut stem end off or leave on, your call. Cut about 1/4 of the peppers in 1" pieces, leaving seeds in. With the remaining 3/4's, cut lengthwise, remove seeds and veins and cut in 1" pieces. Prep the onions and garlic. Put the oils in a large skillet and heat on medium-high. When oil is hot, add the peppers only. When peppers begin to "wilt", add garlic and onion. Stir and salt surface liberally. Continue to stir and toss until onions begin to turn translucent. Add vinegar and return to boil. reduce heat and work quickly. Using a caning funnel, spoon hot mixture directly from hot skillet into one hot jar at a time. Wipe jar rim and threads with a clean, damp cloth and add lid and ring. Screw ring tight and invert jar on folded towel. Continue, one jar at a time until done. when cool, wash jars leaving rings on for storage.

NOTE: If there are any "bits" or liquid left in the pan after all jars are filled, save in the refrigerator for tasting when cool. (Tiny taste) yummy!

1 comment:

Mozer said...

I have been bookmarking all your canning posts! That is something I want to try this year. Thanks for linking up on the Big Summer Fun link-up!