Sunday, May 29, 2011

Quiche - the EASY Way

Quiche has been one of my all time favorites. I've enjoyed some wonderful flavor combinations in a number of delightful cafes. But I've always hated making it myself. Oh, the filling ingredients are a breeze but the crust has never come easy to me no matter which recipe I've used. I've tried ready-made pie crusts but they are too oily and get soggy. So, I quit making quiche altogether even though I had gone to the effort of making my own, personal quiche pan/dish.
When I made the pan/dish, I thought I'd be clever and print my filling recipe inside. Silly me. Once the crust was in, I could no longer read the recipe. Duh ! Sometimes, I wonder where my brain is.
Anyway, this is my recipe. Super simple. I've even substituted condensed milk for the cream and had it come out just fine. The "filling" can be any combination of things you particularly like. I'm fond of spinach and mushroom (with grated onion added to the drained spinach) and a bit of feta cheese tossed in for good measure. Other favorites are asparagus and ham, broccoli and chicken, and bacon-tomato-feta & black olives. Whatever you like.
BUT THE KEY TO "EASY" IS MY DISCOVERY OF A NO-FUSS CRUST
Today, desperate for quiche at any cost, I actually lined the bottom of the sprayed pan with Saltine Crackers and topped them with a sprinkling of Swiss Cheese. As a crust it worked out great. I'm thrilled. Using the crackers instead of making a crust cut the prep time to almost nothing. Give it a try. You'll be surprised.
I grabbed a couple of links you might be interested in:
click HERE for filling combinations and alternative filling recipes, and
click HERE to find a huge assortment of quiche and tart pans.
Enjoy!

No comments: