Sunday, July 31, 2011

Eggs-Eggs-Eggs - 5

People with chickens crack me up. No pun intended.
Now, you can be sure that raising chickens is no easy task but if you have a large family to feed, I can understand it being well worth the effort. What has me tickled is the two families I currently know who raise chickens for eggs. One is my daughter who, with her husband, eat quite a lot of eggs but not the dozens they gather regularly so they give most of them away. Surely it is a blessing for their friends but..........??? Then, there is my friend down the street who has taken to selling her eggs (which is great for me) because her rather large family just doesn't like eggs. Hummmm?!

Anyway, I thought, for both of them, I would come up with some uses for their abundance of eggs. Some links are posted below and the recipe for "Overnight Eggs" follows. I will have more links & recipes in a few days.

Alton Brown's Angel Food Cake - takes 12 eggs
Baked Egg Custard - takes 4 eggs

Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie - takes 3 eggs
Egg Tempera Paint - takes 1-2 eggs

Each time I post something new, I will change the number in the title so check back.

Overnight Eggs
In bottom of 9" x 13" sprayed pan, place:
  • 6 slices White Bread - cubed
Cover with:
  • 1 lb Cheddar Cheese - shredded
Top with some or all of these optional ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Onions - chopped
  • 1/4 cup Green Peppers - chopped
  • 1 cup Ham - Chopped
  • 1 can Mushrooms - sliced
Beat together:
  • 8 Eggs
  • 4 cups Milk
  • 1 tsp Dry Mustard
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
Pour egg/milk mixture over all, being sure to completely cover everything.
Cover pan tightly with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Served with fresh fruit, this makes an easy and absolutely wonderful breakfast/brunch for a large family or guests.


2 comments:

Joan Tremko said...

Thanks for the egg recipes! Being that I'm the friend down the road who raises chickens and my girls hate eggs it gives me an over abundance of inovative ways to utilize the little gems...I by the way love them, as do Zachary and Eric. Frying, scrambling and Quiche get tiresome after a while though.

Cindy said...

Being the other "person of interest" in the egg saga, I must say, I do "sell" eggs at church, which certainly helps feed the little buggers! But I wanted to add that "Lora's Sour Cream Pound Cake" (recipe in Cia's copy of "Liberty in the Kitchen" cookbook) takes 6-8 eggs... or you can make 3 pound cakes with one ostrich egg! It is awesomely delicious and sells better than hotcakes at any bake sale! (Whole or by the slice!!) Keep 'em scramblin!!!